10 Best Affordable Rowing Machines Reviews, Tips & Guides
Have you ever dreamed of owning one of the Best Affordable Rowing Machines at home? The rowing machines listed on this review are quite similar to those that are used in every gym, but their construction is smaller and more lightweight. Also, they come at a reasonable price.
Honestly, you don’t have to waste your money on an pricey rowing machine for your home gym. Instead, you should choose one of these ten products. On the market, they are recommended as the best cheap ones. If you want an efficient workout or a better shape, then these machines are your right choice.
Now let’s go exploring the features of these rowing machines.
Benefits of Rowing at Home
There are some advantages when owning the best affordable rowing machines that you should know. An effective workout for your arms and back muscles is the most obvious reason. Furthermore, you can exercise your lower body to get your legs to tone up. Rowing is well known as a perfect aerobic exercise, and it also helps your heart work more healthily.
You don’t have to worry about putting a lot of force in straining your legs or back because these machines cause little impact. This is considered to be the best workouts for those with a joint problem. In return, you will receive better endurance or lose weight, and thus you can fully enjoy your workout. Undoubtedly, rowing exercise is all about fun.
Now, I think it’s about time to go through the list of the best affordable rowing machines.
10 Best Affordable Rowing Machines Reviews
1. Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5
Model D rower from Concept2 brand is considered one of the best affordable rowing machines around the world due to many reasons. The rower has the maximum weight support of 500 pounds. This feature can be noticed by its strong steel rear legs and aluminum front legs. Even though its nickel-plated steel chain is made of high-grade material, you need to oil it every 40 hours for long-lasting use.
You can set up this rowing machine into various positions, and the built-in PM5 monitor allows you to read your workout records including pace, speed, distance, watts and calories burned. Furthermore, you can track your workout data by linking it via Bluetooth to ErgData app or via wireless heart rate monitors.
The rowing machine features a 14-inch (36 cm) seat and the powder coating is applied on the bike. Its whole body dimensions are 96 x 24 x 44.5 inches.
There are many good sides that have been said about this rower, but nothing is perfect. The Concept2 Model D product is nearly perfect in our opinion.
- The rowing machine comes with a well-built and high-grade structure
- You can enjoy your ride smoothly
- It is made for easy assembly
- The rower is considered a suitable choice for all users, no matter they are short or tall
- It allows you to sync the apps
- For the advanced users, they might get annoyed with oiling the chain every 40 hours
2. Sunny Health & Fitness Water Rowing Machine
The Sunny Health & Fitness Water Rowing Machine is totally different from any other rowing machines which are mentioned above. To begin with, it comes with 16 fan blades that are put in a water tank, creating the same feel and resistance you’d get while rowing on the water. Moreover, you can set up your desire training plan with its built-in LCD monitor for stroke count, calories, and distance exercise. Once you own this rowing machine, you will notice the water swishing noise inside the leakproof case during the workout, but in return you will receive a comfortable stroking experience. Although some Amazon reviewers complain about their foot rest issues, they were still satisfied about this rower overall features such as its reasonable price, simple set up, and water tank resistance system.
- The rowing machine produces very low noise level
- It has smooth performance feature
- The rower is easy to assemble
- Its well-built and sturdy design helps storing the machine more easily
- Its 250 pounds maximum weight support is not good for many users
3. XTERRA Fitness ERG 220 Fitness Rower – Best Affordable Rowing Machines
There are many cheap rowing machines on the market and the XTERRA Fitness ERG 220 Fitness Rower is considered one of the best affordable rowing machines due to its magnetic resistance system with additional easy-to-read LCD screen.
In general, some of the best affordable rowing machines provide bell and whistles. The XTERRA Fitness ERG 220 Fitness Rower is the best choice you are looking for. This machine comes with a built-in 3.7-inch LCD screen and two aluminum seat side rails. Its whole body is made of steel, and you can set up to 8 different levels of resistance with its dial resistance knob.
When it comes to resistance, you will never be annoyed by any sound when this magnetic resistance system is operating due to its quiet, low maintenance and smooth features. Overall, this machine can examine all your exercises such as counting your strokes, your rowing time, the number of calories that you burned, and your fitness level.
When you are done using it, you can easily fold it up, and it is built for 250 pounds of weight support. The whole length of this machine is 71.9 inches x 20.7 inches x 31.5 inches.
On the market, this XTERRA Fitness ERG 220 Fitness Rower is considered one of the best affordable rowing machines, yet it does not come without limitations.
- The machine is constructed for easy storage
- You can enjoy your comfortable, quiet time workout due to its magnetic resistance feature
- Any users can easily read on the 7-inch LCD screen
- 250 pounds of weight support is inadequate
- While using the machine, some assembly is needed
4. Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Rowing Machine
Fitness Reality is well known as the top brand in home gym equipment industry, which produces the best affordable rowing machines. One of their best products is the Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Bluetooth.
Its name tells us all. To begin with, you can connect your phone with this rowing machine through Bluetooth thanks to syncing with My Cloud Fitness App to keep track of your exercise results. Also, the app allows you to set your desire goal settings such as time, calories burned and distance. You can fully enjoy your workout due to its superb wide 21.5-inch grip foam handlebar.
This Fitness Reality 1000 comes with 14 tension levels of dual-transmission magnetic resistance together with 39-inch slide-rail length/inseam. The front-stabilizer foot pads allow you to do various exercises including up-right rows, bent-over rows and curls.
In addition, you can set up time, distance, speed, calories burned, total count, stokes/min and scan using its built-in LCD screen.
This machine is built for handling 250 pounds. Besides, users with a height range from 4’9” to 6’6” are highly recommended to buy this machine. The machine measures 88.5 x 21.5 x 21.5 inches of assembled dimensions and 39.5” L x 21.5” W x 53.5” H of folded dimensions.
Although Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Bluetooth is considered one of the best affordable rowing machines on the market, it still has some disadvantages that you should take into account.
- The product features Bluetooth app synchronization
- Customers can easily assemble the machine
- A simple built-in LCD monitor that helps users to read more easily
- It comes with a thick nylon cord cable
- The machine features 14 resistance levels
- Its 250 lbs. maximum weight support may be insufficient for some
5. NordicTrack RW900 Rowing Machine
Since 1975, NordicTrack brand has been known for producing exercise tools for home workout and its product, the RW900, is recommended as one of the best affordable rowing machines. You can enjoy your workout while sitting on its comfortable, fashionable seat and read exercise information from its built-in 22-inch touchscreen. When you purchase this rowing machine, you will receive a 1-year iFit membership for personalized training that aligns with 26 coach-controlled resistance levels in the rower system. You can rest assured about the RW900 function because it is made for quiet performance, so you can work out as much as you would like. Also, this rower comes with “SpaceSaver” design which offers easier storage job with transport wheels. The NordicTrack rower is considered one of the best affordable rowing machines because it provides special financing. You don’t have to worry about spending any additional interest while you are on an 18-month payment plan.
- The rowing machine system features treadmill, bike, rower, elliptical and strength training programs
- It is manufactured for easy storage
- The rower offers smooth and quiet performance
- The product is high quality and incredibly durable
- Some feedback stated that the cooling fan does not work properly
- Its monitor does not contain heart rate setting
6. Sunny Health and Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine – Best Affordable Rowing Machines
This rowing machine is a suitable choice for small users. The overall features of this new model might not be effective for larger, stronger users compared to the previous model, 1402 air-rower.
Nevertheless, this rowing machine is considered a great choice for common fitness and weight loss exercise. The magnetic rower has different features compared to the Stamina products. Although this rowing machine is not perfect in terms of performance, its magnetic resistance without fan feature enhances its durability.
Some feedback stated that the monitor system does not work well and unhelpful due to its inaccurate distance measurement. Nevertheless, this rowing machine comes with simple, intuitive and quiet features which help you spend your time on good cardio exercise.
If you wonder whether it is an easy and successful way to add cardio exercise to your home workout, then we would like to say yes. Besides, this air-rower is not made for users who want a serious workout.
Any beginners would not want to miss this rowing machine because it is purposefully made for shorter, lighter, or weaker people. Despite being a remarkable piece of equipment for a home workout, you need to think carefully whether it is suitable for your body and your goals.
- This rowing machine is a great choice for beginners
- It performs quietly due to its magnetic feature
- It is constructed as a simple and intuitive design
- This rower is made of magnetic
- It is not recommended for larger/stronger users
7. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5639 Full Motion Rowing Machine
This rowing machine is durable for a maximum weight capacity of 350 lbs., and it is considered one of the best affordable rowing machines.
You can rest assured about efficient burning calories because its well-built design helps you assemble quickly. Although most people from a variety of ages may think this rowing machine is an ideal choice for them, it is not recommended for strong athletes due to its light design.
When it comes to flexibility, the rower can be adjusted up to 12 levels resistance. Moreover, it comes with full motion arms which is suitable for a larger range of motions for the shoulders. Furthermore, as the rower features a built-in padded seat and firm grip handlebars, customers are offered greater support. Users will not slip their feet from the foot straps, and they can adjust it due to its large foot pedals. Regarding the LCD screen, plenty of information is displayed on the LCD monitor such as Scan, Time, Count, Calorie, Total Count, so it means that all your workout sessions are well documented. Not to mention, it is a high quality rower with silent performance.
However, it is quite big for storage (the overall product dimensions are 51.5L x 24W x 14H) , so those with limited space should consider carefully before making the final decision.
- This rowing machine has high durability
- It comes with quiet performance
- Users can easily assemble the machine
- More than 100 Amazon reviewers rated this rower as a 4-star product
- It is not recommended for strong athletes
8. Sunny Health & Fitness Compact Folding Magnetic Rowing Machine with LCD Monitor
If you happen to be a type of person who does not like loud noise then this rower is definitely a perfect choice for you. With it, you can enjoy your quiet workout even when you have roommates, a sensitive baby, or a partner who works in silent environment. There is one reviewer states that this rowing machine is “much quieter than the fan-driven rowers”, which is based on its magnetic resistance feature that reduces the noise while others say that you can stroke smoothly due to those magnets. The seat is constructed to easily slide back and forth, and its magnetic resistance greatly supports smooth performance. Despite its easy and quick adjustment, most users find it hard to set it up on the carpet rather than a tiled or wood floor. Besides, some people doubt the LCD monitor’s accuracy because the digital counter may miss the first count reps during workout.
- The rowing machine comes at a reasonable price
- You can easily assemble it
- It features quiet performance
- It is very comfortable and easy to use
- Some users find it difficult to read the data displayed on the LCD screen
9. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW1205 12 Adjustable Resistance Rowing Machine
This lightweight and efficient rowing machine can be judged by its simple and piston design. Once you own this rower, you don’t have to worry about wasting time setting it up. However, its design is quite big for storage.
One good thing is that the rowing machine is made of smooth solid steel, which offers you the longest life expectancy. Besides, you can adjust up to 12 resistance levels with its hydraulic cylinder feature. When it comes to the LCD screen, plenty of information is displayed on the LCD monitor such as time, count, total count, calories burned, scan. As a result, you can know clearly how much progress you have made. Furthermore, the rowing machine comes with cushioned handlebars that offer a firm grip. Moreover, users will feel comfortable on the machine’s padded ergonomically designed seat.
Regarding the foot plates, the rowing machine comes with large foot plates while preventing your feet slip from the rower, so you can do exercise for hours without worrying about slipping. You can also set up foot straps as your desire with ease.
The rowing machine has the weigh support of 220 pounds. Its dimensions are 53L x 20W x 22H inches. You may worry the machine is heavy, but actually it weighs only 20 pounds.
- The rowing machine comes with good durability
- It provides quiet performance
- Offers great comfort
- Provides up to 12 levels of resistance
- Some feedback stated that the hydraulic piece is leaked during the workout
10. Sunny Health & Fitness Upright Row-n-Ride Trainer with Squat Assist
Customers would be amazed by this low-price Sunny Row-n-Ride Squat Assist Glutes Workout Row Machine. Moreover, its simple design also provides efficient workout. In addition, this Row-n-Ride rowing machine comes with both squat-assist and rower features which help you enjoy not only your squat exercise for your glutes and lower body but also the rowing motion for upper body (shoulders, biceps, back). Still, you can only concentrate on squat exercise with this rower. That sounds more than enough, right?
Moreover, you can set up various depths of squat exercise with this Sunny Row-n-Ride rowing machine such as 30, 60, or 90 degree angles. This rower allows you to create your own workout like incline presses or bent rows due to its well-built resistance belts. Also, the built-in monitor displays track time, calories and rep count. You don’t have to worry about storage for this rower because it is constructed as a superior narrow space-saving design.
Despite of its affordable price (around $100), long-lasting features, well-built framework, we guarantee you will not disappoint on this Sunny Health & Fitness Row-n-Ride product. Finally, you can assemble it by yourself in 20 minutes.
- The rowing machine comes at a reasonable price
- It is designed for quiet performance
- The rower is easy to assemble, plus the tools are included in the package
- It offers you a comfortable seat during workout
- Some users complain that the product is very lightweight, and it does not feel very supportive
- The main shaft might break in half during workout
1. Key features to consider when selecting the best rowing machine
If you happen to be a beginner, then it might be a little bit difficult for you to choose the best affordable rowing machines.
Although there are many features for each of the rowing machines, many people would pick the most reasonable rower depending on their needs.
Nevertheless, this review will help you find the best affordable rowing machines. It is not too complicated.
You should think carefully about the construction feature because it is linked to both endurance and weight elements. Most of the rowing machines are made of solid steel which supports the product’s high durability while making it stable on the floor.
Those features might make the rower a little bit heavy, but in return, the weight will guarantee you a steady seat on it.
If you prefer a rower that is heavy while choosing among the best affordable rowing machines, then you are going on the right path. Still, it would be a hard time for moving it around.
Besides, the heaviness of rowers means that you need more time to set it up. This problem might sound inconvenient for those who are not good at assembling skills.
When it comes to sizes, you judge on the extended dimensions. This will give you a good image on how large the rower is and whether it is comfortable to use or not.
If you wonder about storing the rowing machine, then you should not overlook its unfolded dimensions. The figures will help you find a suitable storage space when you are done using it.
This is one of the key factors that you should think about while looking for the best affordable rowing machines.
A great rowing machine not only provides you with all your needs but it can also offer you a comfortable workout experience. Some of the features will be mentioned below:
- Monitor: You can track your workout exercise via the monitor. It displays all the information about your progress to help motivate you.
- Ergonomic: If a rowing machine has the handle and the foot pedals with efficiency and comfort, then it is a great choice.
- Cushioning: Nowadays, many athletes always find a rower with cushioning features to get a comfy workout. This feature does not only apply for the seat, but the handle as well.
6. Resistance Type
On the market, there are a lot of resistance types to choose for your ideal rowing machine.
Let’s go through some of the top resistance types:
- Hydraulic: You may wonder what the hydraulic resistance can do. Well, it offers an efficient exercise in a short period. Moreover, it is constructed for ease use with less maintenance routine.
- Magnetic: Most advanced users would be familiar with the magnetic resistance. Despite its recommendation as a strong resistance, the athletes can adjust the level of resistance that is suitable for their needs.
- Water: If you are a type of person who prefer outdoor rowing, then the water resistance is the perfect choice for you. Once this type of rower is in your home, not only do you get improvement on the calories burned rate, you will also get a good grip on your endurance and strength.
The last thing you need to keep in mind is that the difficult level for setting up the rowing machine. If it gives you a hard time to assemble, then you need to hire an expert for help.
You can rest assured about that problem because most of the best affordable rowing machines on this review does not take too much of your time, and it does not require you to be a skilful person to assemble it.
FAQs About Rowing Machines
1. Is a rowing machine a better workout than a treadmill?
Both of them are designed with the same purpose, which can be used for workouts at home. Nevertheless, rowers mainly focus on a workout with the upper body while they use small space for storing.
2. What is the proper rowing technique?
Every user needs to learn about proper rowing technique, which includes injury preventative and increases workout efficiency. A piece of advice from a trainer for proper rowing technique is necessary, and users can also find tips or tricks in their rowing machine manual.
3. How long should you row on a rowing machine?
An effective overall health can be gained in fifteen minutes of hard work out or 30 minutes of normal exercise. Users should remind themselves not to overtrain and ask about suitable meals from a doctor.
4. Is it okay to use a rowing machine every day?
Users should not overwork on the rowing machine because it may help the joint but the muscles need to relax as well. Before increasing the rowing routine, users should seek advice from a doctor or trainer.
After going through this review of the best affordable rowing machines, you may find that all the rowers have their own advantages and disadvantages. Nothing is perfect, right?
You will need to think carefully about choosing the right rowing machine for your home workout. You should take some time reading through all the details about the pros and cons. Among those rowers are mentioned in this list, the Fitness Reality 1000 Plus is an excellent choice for you in terms of price, comfort, and performance.
View more on YOUTUBE: